Skip to main content

Blog #3: Shhh. Don't tell anyone I'm faking it.

Discourses, according to Gee, are like identity kits that include all kinds of things. He names some of things things in "Literacy, Discourse, and Linguistics," stating, "At any moment we are using language we must say or write the write thing in the right way while playing the right social role and (appearing) to hold the right values, beliefs and attitudes. Thus, what is important is not language, and surely not grammar, but saying (writing)--doing--being--valuing--believing combinations" (2).

In other words, it's everything. The way I sound, the way I walk, the way I dress, the values I hold, the way I interact with machines and people and data.

I think that's why people I meet always assume I am a teacher. I SEEM like a teacher. And truth be told, most of those people who assume I am a teacher also assume I am an English teacher. (Most of them don't know there is such a thing as a rhetoric class.)

What is it I am doing that tells people so much about me?
I have no idea, but whatever it is, I didn't always do those things.
I wasn't always a teacher. But I wanted to be a teacher. A good teacher. I successful teacher. And I didn't really know how to do that.

In fact, I was absolutely positive my first students (and there's always a first) would know I was completely faking it. I had absolutely no idea what a teacher should behave like, and I'm pretty sure my first day absolutely sucked. I was so terrified about my first day teaching at RWS 100 at SDSU that my husband walked me to class.

The next day was better. A little bit. But I still felt like I was faking it.

I went through the same thing when I taught RWS 305 the first time.
And when I taught RWS 290, the business writing class. I really felt out of place for that one.

And yet I survived. And no one knew I didn't know what I was doing all semester until the end when I actually told them. Every time I pulled what I knew, and I translated it to what I knew about what I was supposed to do, and I applied all of that and I just did it. 

Gee talks about how to acquire a new Discourse and the importance of learning to mushfake when necessary.

In this blog, I want you to write about a time when you needed to mushfake a Discourse you weren't familiar with. How did you do it? What kinds of things did you need to fake?

For example, I regularly simplify my vocabulary when I teach RWS 100. And if I do need to use more complex words, I explain them or have students look them up on the phone. I needed to amp up my sentence structure and stop explaining everything when I started teaching 305.

And I wore business-type apparel to my first business writing class instead of the normal loose flowy dresses that say, "She's a creative type with quirky style." It felt strange.  I also talked about my three years as an HR person. (I didn't tell them how much I hated working in an office.)

So those are some of my stories of faking it, and I hold those stories to remind me that I can do things I have never done before, that I can fake it till I make it, to quote that old adage. Because as long as we are growing, we will be doing new things, things we aren't quite sure how to do.

Like all the other blogs,
1.  Keep in mind that you are constructing your own class identity for anyone who reads this blog.
2.  Write about what you know about, what you're interested about, so that you can show how knowledgeable you are about what you are writing. 
3.  Show, don't just tell.
4.  Adapt your writing style for your audience and purpose.
5.  Try to have fun. 

A few other things:
1.  Even though I have not assigned the Gee reading, this blog must demonstrate that you are entering into an ongoing conversation about Discourses and identity kits and mushfaking that Gee started and I continued in this blog. That means that you need to reference Gee and perhaps me.
2.   Incorporate at least two to three relevant hyperlinks. Hyperlinks take your readers to another web page that gives them more information about a topic they might not know about.
3.  Your blog should be about 500 words. It takes time and space to develop ideas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #4: And here's how I get my dream job.

You’re here at SDSU. You’re going to graduate. You’re going to get a job, or you’re going to keep going to school and then get a job. What job? This blog post asks you to do some research on the career that seems most probable at this point. Your blog post should include the following information? •         What is this job? Why do you want this job? •         What duties does this job include? What skills does it require? Is this an inside or an outside job? What tools do you use? What industry is this part of? •         Who might someone with this career work with? Where would someone with this job work? What companies might someone work with? (Is there a favorite you have? Is there a difference?) Write about some of these companies.              What kind of education or training or both is required? Give some details about what that entails. Are internships paid or unpaid? How do you get those internships? •         What kind of career advancement i

Blog Overview: Goffman, James Paul Gee, Identity Kits, and These Blogs

It may not be fair, but we are making judgments all the time about who people are and what they do and what they are likely to do based on the way they dress, the way they walk, the way they speak, the vocabulary they use, the grammar they use, the way they speak with their hands--or not. That's the way life works. At least that's the way sociologist Irving Goffman describes people's behavior in The Presentation of Self in Everyday Life . Goffman claims we are all like actors on a stage, playing roles, consciously or unconsciously presenting an image of ourselves to the people we encounter. When I read this, it sounds  a little superficial. Fake. And yet, if you think about it, Goffman is not so far off. Let's say you see a group of people like these individuals here . (I don't know them. I found them on Google Images.) What do you assume about them? Who are they? You can draw all kinds of conclusions about education, income, speech patterns, career, just

Blog #1: Six-Word Memoir (Which Identity Do I Want to Share?!)

From fear to self-acceptance and laughter.   The top picture is me when I'm seventeen. That's Duane, my first boyfriend ever, and despite the full beard, he is only 20. I don't know what's happening there, but I do look like a deer in headlights, and I'm holding his hand in a death grip. That's pretty much the story of the first half of my life, fear of failure or rejection and hyper-seriousness in all areas. I suppose I laughed sometimes, but never at myself. I started getting stress migraines when I was six. Ironically, I was at least kind of good at pretty much everything, and I didn't do the things I wasn't good at. I just had anxiety and didn't know it. The second picture is me last spring, and oh, that's Duane, my husband. We are a lot older, but apparently I have learned to laugh--including at myself. I don't get migraines, and in general I am less afraid of rejection and failure. This may be a life-long